Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Toxin Free Home: Alternatives to Plastic Food Storage


With all the concern today about BPA, phthalates, and plastics in general, it makes sense to keep food away from storage containers containing these toxic chemicals! Today I'll show you a great alternative to the conventional plastic food containers that are so prevalent today.

Remember that the aforementioned chemicals will leach out of plastic and into your food, thereby sending toxins into your body when you eat the food. This is especially true when foods are reheated in plastic containers in the microwave. (Which has serious dangers of its own!)

In light of these dangers, you won't find any plastic containers in our home. We store our leftovers in glass Pyrex containers with BPA- free plastic lids, or in leftover mayonnaise or peanut butter jars.

(We're always buying the 26- 32 oz. sizes, so I just pop them in the dishwasher when we're through with them, they make great storage containers for smaller amounts of food!) I also have some stainless steel bowls with lids that I use as well. But by far, my favorite food storage option are my Pyrex bowls, which I can never seem to have enough of!

I hope this gives you a good start on storing toxin free food for your family!


No comments: