Friday, July 16, 2010

Feeding Babies: A Collection of Recipes

In case you haven't noticed, I've been referencing an awesome article by Jen Allbritton of the Weston A. Price Foundation a whole lot in this series. It's because I get all my practical info on feeding from them! I thought I'd include my favorite recipes that I've used, and that both Nathaniel & Micah have loved. I did not create these recipes, but I sure love using them! See them for yourself on the Weston A. Price site here.

Egg Yolk (4 months +)

Boil an egg for three to four minutes (longer at higher altitudes), peel away the shell, discard the white and mash up yolk with a little unrefined sea salt. (The yolk should be soft and warm, not runny.) Small amounts of grated, raw organic liver (which has been frozen 14 days) may be added to the egg yolk after 6 months. Some mothers report their babies actually prefer the yolk with the liver. From Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

(Note: I've never been brave enough to use liver, but I ought to try!)

Pureed Meats (6 months +)

Cook meat gently in filtered water or homemade stock until completely tender, or use meat from stews, etc., that you have made for your family. Make sure the cooked meat is cold and is in no bigger than 1-2 inch chunks when you puree. Grind up the meat first until it's almost like a clumpy powder. Then add water, formula or breast milk, or the natural cooking juices as the liquid.

Vegetable Puree (6 months +)

Use squash, sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas, carrots or beets. Cut vegetables in half, scoop out seeds from squash and bake in a 400 degree oven for about an hour, or steam them (in the case of carrots and beets) for 20 to 25 minutes. Mix in butter when puréeing. You can cook these vegetables for your own dinner and purée a small portion in a blender or food mill for your baby. From Natural Baby Care by Mindy Pennybacker.

Fruit Sauce (6 months +)

Use fresh or frozen peaches, nectarines, apples, blueberries, cherries, pears, berries or a combination. Note: Whenever possible, use organic fruit, and peel the fruit if it is not organic. Cut fruit and put in a saucepan with 1 cup filtered water for every 1/2 cup of fruit. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer about 15 minutes or until the fruit is cooked. Purée the mixture in a blender or food mill and strain if necessary. Don't add sugar or spices but you can stir in a little butter or cream. From Natural Baby Care by Mindy Pennybacker.

See the original article here, and enjoy feeding your precious little ones optimally!

6 comments:

WSpence said...

thanks for the info! :) Our second is due in October and although my first will be 2 in a few weeks I still feel like i forgot a lot from when he was a little baby. (I used the book 'Super Baby Food')

Catherine said...

You are welcome! Congratulations on your second baby! :) I felt like I forgot a lot with our second, too. It's amazing how fast the time goes! Blessings on your pregnancy!

akdbaker said...

I'm not sure where to put this question....Do you give your little ones any vitamin supplements? I didn't know if The Garden of Life has any for babies. I found one at my Health Food store...Natures Plus. My Pediatrcian even said that he was going to recommend instead because there's no artificial flavorings or colors. I always want to make sure they are whole vitamins and not synthetic.

Thanks for all the posts!
Kellye

Catherine said...

Hi Kellye,

Do you mean like a multi vitamin? :) I just give my kids the Primal Defense and cod liver oil for now. Garden of Life doesn't currently make any kid's multivitamins, but I have a feeling they're probably coming soon. :) Once they introduce some, I'll add them for our kids, particularly our 2.5 year old. But I haven't been super worried, mostly because up until a few months ago, Nathaniel was still drinking a raw milk "formula" with TONS of nutrients: see http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/319-recipes-for-homemade-baby-formula.html

akdbaker said...

Ok...hum...Quirt is just on raw goats milk. I'll look into the formula. Thanks again!!!!
Kellye

Morg and Robbie said...

Hi, thanks for you posts! I am so happy to have another source for feeding egg yolks to my baby. I started my six month old on egg yolk, however when I boil the egg, even 6 minutes, the yolk is still relatively runny. Is your egg yolk solid? Do you put the egg in when the water is already boiling or do you put it in at the beginning and start timing when the water boils? Thanks again.