Thursday, March 25, 2010

Why I Love Cloth Diapers!












Ok, ok, I know what you're thinking. When you first think of cloth diapers, what are the two thoughts that first enter your brain? I know what they are, because they're what previously symbolized cloth diapering to me too. Two words.

Poop. Laundry.

Both are a mom's nightmare, right?

But cloth diapers are a mom's dream! Before you think I'm crazy, hear me out.

I started out my diapering career (they say the average mom changes 6,000 diapers the first two years of a baby's life- no joke!) using disposables with Nathaniel. Seventh Generation disposables, because the chemicals in traditional disposable diapers are just deplorable. We also used Seventh Generation wipes. I didn't really like their wipes, but their diapers worked fine and they were the cheapest natural diapers on Amazon, and so we stuck with it. Then I got pregnant with #2. One day, when I was about four months along, it hit me. With two kids under 2, just how much money are we going to spend every month on diapers?

I added it up.

I got $150 per month.

You've got to be kidding me!

And that's if both boys used exactly the number I planned, something children are notorious for not doing!

These thoughts were all going through my mind when my good friends Thai & Angela invited me to a cloth diapering info meeting at a local cloth diaper store, adorably named "Happy Bottomus." When I got there, Thai (who knew more about cloth diapering than the staff, because of all his research) gave me the rundown. I asked them, "Are you guys going to do it?" "Oh yeah," he said. "We're 100% going to." "Really?" I said. Wow!

The peer pressure was on.

I went home and did my research. I read and I read and I read and I read and I read. (Did I mention that I read about cloth diapering?!) I knew that if I did it, I was going to jump in full throttle and not look back. I seem to be incapable of functioning any other way, so I like to do my research before I jump in.

Finally I was sold. I mean sold. And I jumped in full throttle with Nathaniel, so I could get the hang of things before baby #2 arrived.

And I fell in love!

I can't believe I'm writing that I'm in love with cloth diapering, but truly I am. I can't believe I waited so long with Nathaniel, and I'm so glad I've been using cloth with Micah since birth. In my next few posts, I'll show you the cloth diapering system that has worked for me, but in the meantime, check out these awesome resources so you can do your own research!

http://www.diaperjungle.com/why-use-cloth-diapers.html


http://www.mamaohbaby.com/index.php?l=page_view&p=cloth_diaper_myths

http://www.westonaprice.org/Cloth-Diapers-Made-Simple...Promise.html

These websites will also give you more info on the chemicals that your children are being exposed to 24 hrs a day, for all those 6k diaper changes in traditional disposables!

I look forward to sharing more with you about my love for cloth diapers!

























No comments: